Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Pure excitement to leaving in tears.

Saturday morning I woke up with pure excitement of getting to my first barrel race of 2012.  The first barrel race, "racing for a cure".  We arrived, and my husband and I set up my Dreaming of Three banner, along with tshirts, mugs, information, etc.  I entered my classes and caught up with friends I hadn't seen all winter.  I sold six tshirts and all of Amy's mugs!  So that was good news.

Then, finally, after waiting most the day, it was time for me to saddle up and warm up for the Masters class.  Felt so good getting on Sis, I was really pumped.  She was too! (either fortunately or unfortunatly as she is quite the handful, bucking, side stepping, basically acting like the "crazy train" that she is!)  We got called into the arena, and as usual, she gives me some static, but then is ready to take off into the arena.  We had an awesome run..all three barrels perfect!  She is amazing in that sense, as she hadn't seen a barrel since November.  I don't practice nor make runs before my first show, and she goes in and works like a champ!  However, on the home stretch, I felt her shut down a bit...just something felt "off".  We didn't time out horribly, but certainly not what she is capable of doing.  But, with it being the first time out after a four month break, I didn't expect her to break records.  After we exited the chute, she walked out of the arena.  WALKED!  Not like Sis in the least.  It's amazing how well you can be in tune with a horse you've owned for 9 years and know when something isn't right.  On the way back to the trailer, she coughed, and my heart sank.  She bled last September.  I gave her a month off, and she never did so again.  That cough, had me worried-it was dark, and I couldn't see if she was bleeding.  I got back to the trailer, felt something sticky on my jacket and just started crying.  I knew right away, blood.  I got the flashlight, shined it on her nostrils, and both were streaming with bright red blood. 

So I started the day with pure excitement of starting my season to leaving in tears of "what now"!?  A month off of course, but not knowing if I can control her bleeding after excersion is my worry.  My friends assured me that it was fixable and told me not to cry as there are alot of barrel horses out there that are bleeders, but is hard not to do so with so many plans for this year.  So much I wanted to accomplish.  So many people I wanted to ride for, ride with (the initials on my saddle crosses) and make proud.

I wish I had a back up horse, like so many do that barrel race.   I've been offered a friend's horse to ride, however, without the space in my  barn, I'd have to board somewhere close, and I'm not sure yet if that makes sense.  I feel I need to give Sis those 10 days on anti biotics, slowly get back to riding her, and hoping and praying she takes the herbs I bought for her that can help control it and I can keep it from happening again.  I hadn't planned on another barrel race until April 21, so that is almost a month off.  I have the Connie Combs clinic, which I'll have to find out if they are expecting us to make a run or not before I can decide if I have to pull out or not.    I've been slowly adding a pinch of the herbs to her feed, getting her used to the smell, and hopefully I'll be able to give her the full dose every day soon and keep her on those.  I've been given more tips as well that I will put into place.  (don't feed alot of hay before runs, or give alot of water before.)

So, I ask for prayers for Sis to recover, and to take her herbs and that those herbs work so she doesn't bleed again.  I will certainly keep all posted on things.  Hopefully, in two weeks, we'll be good as new and ready to continue our mission.  I can't do this without Sis, that is for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment