Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, April 19, 2012

What A Whirlwind This Week Has Been!!!

No doubt, this week will go down in history (well, in my mind, my history I suppose) as the week that Dreaming of Three really took flight!  It went from the end of last month, Sis bleeding, and me thinking, "well, all that work, and preparation, and I'm done!"... to "holy smokes, how am I going to manage to keep up!". 

A business associate of Franco's  and friend of mine, Steve, was kind enough to write my Press Release regarding Team DO3 that Barrel Horse News requested.  I sent that out to several magazines as well, however, haven't heard anything from anybody yet.  So the week, I thought, was going to be slow in the land of DO3.  Little did I know!  Steve had told me that this thing could be huge!  Was I ready?  How far did I want it to go!?  My answers were, yes I was ready, and I want it to go as far as possible..to help and reach as many people as possible!

The Team members were trickling in, but it wasn't until I explained to people, that it doesn't matter if you win $2 or $20,000, you can be on the Team!  It isn't about how much you donate, just that you want to "give back" or "pay it forward".  At that point, I was overwhelmed with the people wanting on the Team!  I have two youth members now, which I think is wonderful!  As what better way to teach your child to give back.  Sometimes, we all tend to forget how fortunate we are, with our health and what we own and enjoy.  I have about 17 members of TEAM DO3...still awaiting more forms to get up on the site.

My own children have watched this thing with Dreaming of Three grow and they want to be a part of it however they can, even though they do not compete yet on their ponies-they are proud to wear their shirts and are excited to be coming to the rodeo with me and my husband on April 28 to meet Trenton and his family.  We also have always watched shows like the "Home Makeover" show together and every day the Ellen Show via my DVR.  My son actually watches the Ellen Show twice!  With my mother after school and then in the evening when I get home.  He actually tells me all the jokes before Ellen says them..drives me bonkos!  Then, he tells me all the time, he wants to go see the Ellen show some day!  Anyway, if Ellen gives a home to somebody-my son will say, "I'm gonna do that someday for people" or if she gives away a car, my daughter will say "I'd like to be able to do that".  So I think, having people in children's lives, that give back with their good fortunes in life, teaches them to do the same.  Therefore, one life touched continues to ripple outward.  We've always watched Ellen, Ellen inspired me, and Ellen and myself inspires my own children...and hopefully it will just keep going on and on and on!

Also, this week, I acquired another horse!  I never thought I would have a back up horse, as we just didn't have the space.  My husband has a trail horse, my kids both have a pony, and then Sis and of course Snowball, my mascot (whom is a mini bascially, doesn't take much space-and was the kids first pony-I'm not allowed to ever sell him!).  So, my husband watched me agonize for a couple days over the fact that all my hard work with Dreaming of Three had come to a very quick stop with Sis needing time off for a month. (and who knows for how many other months if she would bleed in the future).  He didn't want to see all this hard work, and effort to do good for others go to waste.  Therefore, he has offered to sell his trail horse, in order for us to have the space for me to have a back up.  I fought that for a bit, as I didn't want him to do that for me, but then realized, I could find something that would work for both of us.  Something he could ride on trails when my family would go out, and something that I could run when Sis couldn't.  I am very touched that he had my back like that, and it means alot to me. 

My friend Jeanie and I searched for mares..as of course that is all that I had in my barn.  However, it seemed, when we'd find one that was affordable for me, and worth a shot, they would sell within a day!  She had a gelding in her barn, that she was looking at for her daughter who rodeos.  But, things went a different way for her daughter, and this big, beautiful white gelding was there...calling my name!  Jeanie just was in love with him, so from that, I knew he must be something special.   His name is Smoke!  He's from the bloodlines of Streakin Six and Dash for Cash, two great barrel racing sires. 
I, of course, can't just post a photo-I had to make a video!  So, introducing the new "man" in my life, "Smoke"!
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8388586/smoke/

I hope we do well, and add to the tally of TEAM DO3!  Sis should be back up online in about two weeks or so...  My fingers are crossed all goes well, and I have her back!  I'm excited about Smoke, but I also want my ole' trustworthy mare back.  I'm comfortable on her...  I know what to expect.  I know here and I have collected checks!

So as you can see, the week has been crazy!  But a good crazy!  Stay tuned!  I hope to have more wonderful news in the coming weeks!  I hope TEAM DO3 grows and grows..perhaps someday needing to divide it into regions, or divide into seperate teams of ropers, barrel racers, jumpers, etc.  Who knows!  The possibilities are endless! 

No comments:

Post a Comment