Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Wheels Turned, Results Happened

After turning my wheels, and trying to think about how my earning money for the charities didn't have to be on hold for a month while Sis healed, I've found a solution. I rolled around the idea of borrowing a friend's horse that offered, leasing a horse, or buying a back up horse (which is still a possibility if we find something that is suitable for my husband to ride on trails, and find a new home for his trail horse). However, when I thought about the extra expense that it would be for me to borrow a friend's horse, as I'd have to board it for a month or so, not having any room in my barn-- it didn't make a lot of sense. #1, because of board. #2, because for me to ride another's horse that I am not familiar with or it with me, it would be difficult to pull checks within those two months. So, I started thinking, why not just ask a friend to fill my shoes in raising money for the charities this month. They are able to ride their own horse with success and would have a much better chance at pulling paychecks!


I asked a friend, Beth Penland, as she was the other person who signed up with the Kick Ass Cowgirls "Race for a Cause" contest (that has been put on hold, as it was only myself and Beth signed up) and Beth was also who nominated me for the Kick Ass Cowgirl, Cowgirl In Need contest last October (that I won!). She gladly said she would donate her winnings for April to the charities! So, I can relax a bit, and not worry that I am losing that month of possible paychecks-it's all on Beth now! ;-)
Beth's Profile
I grew up in a horse-loving family. My dad STILL is playing with his horses. He was always picking up a horse from somewhere and bringing it home to his six kids to train, ride and sell. I was a 4-H kid. I did a little of everything but I was really good at the western equitation, as it used to be called and the trail class. I took a break for college, marriage and running a business. When my son, Mason, was 3 years old we bought our first farm so I could get back into horses. At that time, I started thinking about barrel racing.

Once Kent, my husband, realized I was completely serious about barrel racing, he got a hold of Sue Bologna, who he knew from high school and the rest is history. I started with some lessons from Sue and progressed over the years from there.

I started barrel racing in 1999. The pee wee contestants used to beat me and that just stuck in my craw. But I was having a blast! So I kept riding and practicing and fighting my way to be a better rider and barrel racer.

Kent and I kept hauling to the Penn-Ohio barrel races around Pennsylvania and Ohio. We've always said the quote "You're only as good as your competition." And the Penn-Ohio members are some STIFF competition. Like I said, even those Pee Wees used to kick my butt. LOL! Eventually I kept working my way up through the divisions.

I got my mare, Whirling Fastcat from Alabama when she was about a year old. I went down there to look at a 4 year old gelding and saw her running around the pasture. I didn't click with the gelding but managed to bring her and another yearling home. She's become my dream horse. We have just bonded and clicked over the years. She's a lot of fun to race as she has become so automatic. She is definitely a pushing kind of horse.

I've been nicknamed the Screaming Eagle by my good friend, Jamie Hart. If you've ever witnessed my race, you understand the name. I guess I tend to wake up the place.! . If you haven't heard, I usually “scream” during my run. My friends like to give me grief for it, which is fine by me. I can take the jokes!

I am so thrilled to help out with this cause. Kent and I are a big believer in making contributions and helping out when needed. I'm hoping that more folks see this and want to join our efforts in raising money for these three charities.


Last year, my mare and I won awards in the Penn-Ohio 1D and in the Penn-Ohio Masters classes.
My favorite win was last year at SEC in October when my son and I both tied for the win. That was really special and the chances of that ever happening. Wow!


So perhaps from bad things, good things can happen.  All this has gotten my wheels turning, thinking about, what if I asked people to join me in raising money for the charities while in the saddle?  A team of Dreaming of Three riders-Team DO3!! 

I am gonna order a few of these shirts for Beth and myself and work on a game plan for getting more riders involved.  Whether you are a barrel racer, roper, dressage, jumper, team penner, bulldogger, saddle bronc rider, etc, if you collect some paychecks while sitting on the back of a horse-you can be on Team DO3!  Raising awareness for the three charities-saving lives-one ride at a time! Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. I think the "wheels" in your head went in the BEST direction.!!!! Hugs to all of those who step up and become the DO3Team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ryde2rope! I hope so! I'm working on "regulations" now... I think it would be cool to have a "rider profile" tab on the website... and as a team at the end of the year be able to say we raised "x" amount for the charities! Nobody glorified as the super star..just a team effort. Whether its a child donating $2 of their winnings to a pro rodeo gal donating $500 throught the year... as a team, perhaps we can show the World..cowgirls/cowboys care! And we can change lives from the back of our horses doing something we enjoy as well!

    ReplyDelete