Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, December 29, 2011

A New Year Upon Us

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday.~John Wayne

Last New Year's eve, coming into 2011, I was relieved for it's start and a new beginning.  With going through a year of ups and downs with my step father, his passing in October, 2010 from a brain tumor, I wanted to take that big sigh and move forward.  I knew it would be a hard year of firsts for all of us, especially my Mother.  I didn't get too far into 2011, before another heart break.  My father passed away on January 31, 2011.  I remember the phone call at work from my step mother, her barely able to tell me through her own tears that my dad had another heart attack and did not make it this time.  I felt like I was just getting to my knees finally after my step father, and those words felt like a boot to my face knocking me back down into the dirt.  I think my co-workers had thought I was being murdered in my office, for all the screaming and crying I was doing, as they all came running in, to realize I was on the phone and things were not good.  My hope of a new start in 2011 didn't quite turn out how I had hoped.  

Who knows what 2012 will bring to myself and my family.  I know that I have big plans for Sis and myself.  I truly hope we can make an impact.  I am really excited about meeting some of the families that are going thru or who have gone thru the same type of year we had back in 2010, and to give them a fun night out watching my favorite sport, rodeo.  I want to be able to take their minds off things for just one night, and to show them there are people out here, perhaps strangers, fighting for them as well.   I am really excited and pumped up for 2012!  Although, the last year and a half has been very hard, I feel that something good has evolved from going through everything.  That being, the revelation of how I can stop feeling helpless everytime I heard the words, "cancer" or "heart attack".  To take something that I enjoy (barrel racing) and turn it into something that can help others. (hopefully!).  Regardless of how much money I win though, I will still be able to meet some brave kids and their families and show them how much the cowgirl/cowboy community looks out for each other and have huge hearts for people in need. 

2012~~New beginnings can not be relived or restarted, but anyone can start today and have an impact on the ending.  January 1 is your new start! Don't overwhelm yourself. Just take one step...make just one change in your life or in someone elses'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment