Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Saturday, December 10, 2011

National Western Stock Show & Rodeo

The Christmas after my step-father was diagnosed with a brain tumor, was no doubt rough.  I thought long and hard about what to get a man who has just been given 12-18 months to live.  Things, possessions, didn't seem to be important any more.  So, I looked around online, and found the Jersey Boys play was in downtown Pittsburgh.  I decided to purchase tickets for him and my mother, and give them a gift card to Mortons Steak House as well, for a night, that I know now was a wonderful memory for him and my mother.  They really enjoyed that night out and loved the show. 

As I sat watching the NFR, the commercials for St. Jude's Hosptial really got to me.  I'd find myself tearing up watching all those children fighting cancer.  I thought how horrible it must be for them and their families to watch such a young soul fighting that horrible fight.  These children I feel I am racing for as well in 2012.  However, I thought how I would love to be able to meet some of these children that I feel are so brave and strong beyond their years.  So I thought, why not do for a couple of these children what I did for my step father, give them an experience!  So, when I head to rodeos, I will figure a way to find a family with a child fighting cancer or heart disease and purchase tickets for them to come out to a night at the rodeo.  I'll make up some goodie bags to give them as well to remember their night. 

I'll be headed to Denver for work in January, and going to the National Western Stock Show & Rodeo.  Although, I'll only be a spectator at the rodeo, I thought I would start the New Year off with this awesome rodeo.  I have a friend that knows such a family, and she is going to contact them for me.   I think experiences in life are the most valuable.

"Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace and gratitude." -Denis Waitley

No comments:

Post a Comment