Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Patrick King Horsemanship

What an AMAZING DAY!  We had a rough start yesterday, as Sis was not real pleased with me taking over the leadership role, and she did manage to kick me in the gut to prove her point.  But, by the end of the day yesterday, we had her rethinking that mindset.  When I arrived today and went through the exercises we were taught yesterday, there was no hesitation on her part and seemingly a new found respect between both of us.  Unlike the day before with the rearing and striking or falling over backwards.  That transformation alone was very cool to see. 

Today, was tarp and flag day.  I knew heading to rodeos there is a chance of having to carry a flag.  NO WAY did I want to go into that blindly or not prepared.  Patrick worked Sis for quite a while getting her used to the tarp, until finally she stepped on it and stood there without worry.  Very entertaining to watch no doubt!  Then, came the flags.  He rode her while carrying a smaller flag, and she wasn't real happy with that new added piece of equipment.   But eventually, it was like second nature that it was flapping around above her.  Then, the larger flag as in rodeos.  Some side stepping, but not very long before she relaxed and did not care that it was there.  
I got on her, with flag at that point.  No side stepping, or spookiness at all. We even loped around the arena several times, with the flag flapping.  

I feel so relieved that we conquered this hurdle!  I will continue playing with flags through winter, until she thinks they are just part of wardrobe.  I now have the "tools" in my back pocket to work with her and have confidence that I am reacting properly. 
I look forward to my next session with Patrick, and all the new things he will teach me.  We as equestrians, never stop learning about the animals we love so much.  There is an endless sea of knowledge out there, you just have to be open minded enough to take the first step in learning it all. 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment