Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

This IS my first PRO rodeo!

Did you ever hear the saying "This ain't my first rodeo"?  Well, the Huntington, PA rodeo won't be my first rodeo, however, it is my first IPRA rodeo.  My first Pro Rodeo so to speak.  I have to say, that I'm a tad nervous, as I am taking Smoke, a horse I've only owned for about a month and only have had 5 runs on so far.  I doubt he has ever been in the rodeo atmosphere either.  But,all rodeo horses have to start somewhere.  Unfortunately, there isn't much "tipping your toes" in the water for rodeo.  Not like I can make an exhibition run, just to acclimate him to the surroundings.  All I can do, is arrive early and ride him a bit to let him see the sights.  Then, hope for the best once the crowd arrives.  Smoke seems fairly laid back, and doesn't seem to be bothered by much.  So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 

My draw is #6 for Saturday night, June 16.  I had to ask a friend a million questions it seems-how do I know my draw?  What do I do when I get there-sign in?  Not that I'll place, but in curiosity, how would they pay out those 6 placings?  Unfortunately, that evening, there are no barrel racers that I know, so I am on my own!  Nobody to hold my hand behind the chute!  Guess I'll have to make a friend fairly quick! 

I went to the website of the rodeo, and looked through pictures as well.  Trying to get a feel for the arena!    All I could think was "holy smokes!  is there any room behind that 2nd barrel-or is it right on the fence".  It was confirmed, right on the fence!  So, as Chelsea Toy told me-ride two handed and push up in each pocket.  I know I've ridden in small pens, even on Smoke, that the barrels sit right on the fence.  He did fine!  I know I just have to have confidence, so he'll have confidence, and do our best!

At the age of 43, I feel like I am fish out of water.  I would imagine most girls that barrel race, start going to rodeos earlier in life.  As I mentioned, I have been in a few, but never too far away from home, and always with the same friends and competitors that I familiar.  But, when Sis started placing in the 1D, I felt like it was now or never-as it was something I always wanted to do.  Of course, I'm not getting any younger! 

Also, taking a "Rodeo Kid" while also being a competitor will be a little bit trickier.  As before, I had no worries of saddling up, riding in grand entry, etc.  All I had to do was concentrate on the "Rodeo Kid".  So, I will have to feel my way through this one, and try to organize it the best I can.  I always want to be there when the family arrives, and to give them their goody bags, etc.  So hopefully, the Polizzi family can get there a little early-to get all that done before I have to throw my leg over the saddle for grand entry. 

The Central PA Rodeo committee, Sam Swearington of Rawhide Rodeo Company and Mike Short, Jr. (the Country music entertainer for the rodeo) have all been very supportive in wanting to make Gabby's night very memorable!  So with all the help, I have confidence all will go well!  Regardless if I just lope the pattern!  (if pen is small..Smoke is large..has such a large stride..  geesh..don't know if he'll be able to open up much).

So the countdown is on!  10 days from now, we'll be headed down the road, to my first IPRA Rodeo, to meet the Polizzi family and to have a wonderful night at the rodeo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment