Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, June 14, 2012

As The Pony Herd Changes

Last night my family and I went to try a new pony for my son, Shane.  His little pony, Molly, he seemed to grow out of overnight! 


However, when we bought Molly a little over a year ago, I knew she wasn't going to be his mount for very long, but with him wanting to go faster all the time, I wanted to make sure he was on a pony that he wouldn't get hurt upon doing so.

One time we took Molly over to my good friend, Jeanie's ranch.  Her grandson, Gavin rode Molly for a little while.  From that point on, Gavin was awaiting Shane to be done riding her.  Everytime I'd see Gavin, he'd ask me "Is Shane done with that pony yet?". 

After the weekend at Venango, when Shane got 3rd place in the peewee barrels, Shane told me he wanted to go faster.  Then on the way home, a friend of mine told me about a larger pony for sale that was really nice.  Shane said he wanted to go faster in order to win more for DO3!  So, with that statement, I thought, well, now we HAVE to go look at this little pony. 

Last night, we did so, and Shane told me he is already attached to "Nikki".  He had a smile from ear to ear as he went around the arena and then around the barrels (only at a trott so far).  He will no doubt be running and pushing hard once he gets accustomed to her scaring me to death!  It's probably the #1 reason I never pushed my kids to get those barrel ponies right away, as it scares momma watching them go faster!  But, I imagine he has inherited that "need for speed" from me!

My daughter, Sierra, is just fine with trail riding her old little pony, Bell, for now.  She's a little more timid than Shane, but I have no doubt that with Nikki's help, she'll evenetually be ready to go faster as well.  For now though, she is going to enter the non-speed classes at fun shows, such as trail, egg and spoon, simon says, etc.  to win her donations to TEAM DO3!  I told her, that is just fine, she doesn't have to be a barrel racer for now.  To just do what she is comfortable doing and have fun!  That is all that is important.

While at Simmons Equestrian Center trying Nikki, I also got my last barrel run on Smoke before the rodeo this weekend.  With the new head gear, Smoke ran awesome.  I feel that I gained more confidence on him, and that I am ready!  He is such a good boy, and doesn't give any hassle's at all.  I feel he'll eventually be a great rodeo horse!





Donated by Horsehair Bracelets by Candance
I've received some more items for Gabby as well in the last few days.  She is going to have loads!
Donated by Southpaw Beadworks



I also asked Franco to sign a football for Gabby's brother, Joe.  Of course, he had no problem!



So, I'll be compiling all the gifts, and packing them up for Saturday!  I'm very much looking foward to meeting Gabby and her family and also running in my first IPRA Rodeo! 

Also, Rodeo News has told me that they will be finishing up my "Member Highlight" story here in the next few days!  So I'm excited to read that article!  Cowgirls In Style's article should be out in the next day or so! 



Today, is the tv interview with Central PA Live as well.  It will only be my family making the trek, as the other Team members unfortunately, are dealing with injured horses and awaiting vets.   I'm excited and nervous all at the same time!  However, I think it is a great opportunity to let everybody know about some of the things Dreaming of Three is doing.  I hope all goes well, and that I do not say anything dumb!  I plan on speaking from my heart, and hopefully that will make it all go well.





No comments:

Post a Comment