Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Friday, June 1, 2012

Covering Each Other's Backs

I am not sure about other sports, but with barrel racing and each community of barrel racers we seem to cover each other's backs when it comes to having a horse that is injured when entered in events, clinics or even battling for that top spot in organizations. 

Several years ago-well (more like 12..), when I had my very first good horse, Peewee, I was winning the Novice Rider division in the Buckey Barrel Racing Association.  It was a close race no doubt, and it came down to the finals weekend.  However, all those dreams of finally winning my first buckle, saddle, etc, went up into smoke, when Peewee fell ill, and ultimately died that Friday of finals.  Before I even knew he passed away, my good friend, Jeanie Bowersock, allowed me to borrow one of her horses, Kickin Booty, a big black gelding.  I ran him Friday night, (if you want to call it riding, I was in tears and a mess, but "Bubba" took care of me, thankfully).  When I finished my run, my husband, Sean, was in the barn waiting for me.  I saw his face, and being he was sick with the flu and still managed to drive out, I knew it couldn't be good news.  He took me outside for a moment, and told me Peewee had died.  Was like a knife through my heart!  To finally make it to where I had a decent horse, to have spent the money to get the decent horse, and to have it be all gone with those words.  Bubba wasn't even untacked yet, as I cried my eyes out trying to untack.  Friends gathered around, untacked him for me and comforted me at that time.  I ran the rest of the finals, but, being I had just sat on Bubba's back that weekend, was a blubbering mess, I of course lost that buckle and "champion" status. 

During that weekend, what I didn't know, is that my friends and barrel racing community came together to donate money to help me cover the vet costs for Peewee for just that 24 hour period he was there.  The papers to sign to insure him were in the mail the day he died, so I lost all that money I had invested, plus vet bills.  So although we all compete AGAINST each other every weekend, it certainly was proven here that we watch each other's backs regardless. 

I of course, acquired Sis at one point, and she was increasingly improving.  Chrissy Elicks horse passed away, and she was in the same situation as I was, fighting for that top spot in an organization for the Youth class.  I let her use Sis for the weekend.  She did awesome on her, winning the Youth class that weekend, helping her to secure her spot!  Then, another time I loaned Sis, was to Natalie Davidson when her horse was injured.    I just want to be able to do the same for others, that my friends have done for me.  I am happy to be able to do so!

Then of course, this past April, when Sis was injured and I was signed up for Connie Combs clinic at Equine Affaire, my friend Melissa Kelly offered her good horse, Harry for me to take and still participate.  She trusted me with her horse, hauling three hours away for the weekend.  Again, covering each other's backs. 

Had it not been for Melissa allowing me to use Harry that weekend, I would have never gotten in contact with Connie Combs.  Connie is going to be working with Dreaming of Three in several ways, one of which is putting on a clinic where some proceeds go towards the charities!  We are still discussing all the aspects of her being a part and I will certainly let you all know the details once we iron out!  But, it is because of friends that make such things happen!  Without Melissa and Harry, perhaps the connection between Connie and Dreaming of Three would have never happened! 

So of course, when a friend of mine, Marissa Mooney asked to borrow Smoke, as her horse was injured when already scheduled and entered at IBRA Cloverdale this weekend, it was a no-brainer.  I surely hope Smoke wins Marissa some cash, as she is going to donate portions of any earnings on Smoke to the charities! 

I have no clue if other sports are like barrel racing.  Do race car drivers offer their cars to other competitors when they wreck theirs?  Do golfers offer their club to each other if their club breaks?  Do tri-athletes have extra bikes to loan other competitors their extra one if they crash theirs?  I have no clue!  But what I do know, the barrel racing community and no doubt the rodeo and horse industry are the same-We watch each other's backs even though we compete against each other every weekend!  THAT is sportmanship like conduct! 

No comments:

Post a Comment