Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Monday, May 7, 2012

Starting Over

Although, I finally was able to get my IPRA (International Professional Rodeo Association) card, I would not consider myself a pro-unless I am on the back of Sis.  I've owned her for 9 years, and through those years is when we developed into the team that we are today.  (I certainly hope it's not going to be "were a team"!!).  I've gained my confidence on her in order to push her hard and to get into that first division.  I totally trust her and know she will run the same pattern every time, in any arena.  I've had plenty of horses through my years of barrel racing, three I clicked with, countless ones I did not.  Unfortunately, it seems like the ones I clicked with and were taking me to the pay window-fell ill somehow with two dying while I was at the top and on cloud nine, and now Sis.  I truly hope I can get her back running soon.  She seems like she is legging up quite well, and back to the routine I had her on before she had to take her month off.  However, I heard one cough out of her tonight, which I hadn't heard any in this entire month.  So that makes me nervous.  I certainly don't want to panic, but if she lets out another cough, she'll be heading to the vet to see what in the world is going on. 

This past Sunday was my first barrel race with Smoke.  First time I actually ran him!  He did well, and behaved quite nicely.  Such a big horse, but yet so athletic.  I wouldn't actually call what I did running however.  Nor a lope!  More of a frolic!  That big stride of his, not having confidence yet in him nor trust, I just eased him into arena making sure we turned that first well.  He actually was so cute, as he waited, as if to say "What speed did you say we were going again?".  He turned all three well.  I actually think he is quite like Sis, as he'll need pushed hard to the first barrel so he gets around it, otherwise, he turns so tight, he knocks coming out of it.  Sis is more like that on her 2nd barrel, needing pushed hard to it, otherwise, she turns it too tight brushing it as we come out.
 

You can watch the video of our first run together here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x6LekzAhyw

I certainly hope, every time I'll build trust and get faster.  It takes me a bit of time to become a team with a new horse.  I think with age, children at home, and a full time job to go to the next day, puts that little bit of worry that I'd get hurt if I went balls to the wall first time out on a horse I did not know or have any clue how to ride.  Had I seen Smoke run with another rider, that would have even given me a little bit more confidence, but I had never even seen him run with a different rider.  I rode him a couple times, and loped him slow around the barrels.  I liked how he felt, and trust fully my good friend, Jeanie Bowersock, and her opinion on horses and what would fit my style.  She loved Smoke, so that spoke tons of him.



I certainly hope Sis comes back strong without issues, but I will do my best to get up to speed with Smoke, so that I too can be adding to the tally of TEAM DO3!  I am certainly glad I have a Team of riders out there raising money for the charities during this time that I will need to adjust.  I certainly didn't plan on this, but I will make the best out of it, and keep pushing forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment