Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Sunday, May 27, 2012

Definition of Cowgirl Up

I woke up Saturday morning, so excited to be heading to a barrel race with my family.  We bought a EZ up tent, a new grill!
We were set!  Trailer all packed with food, tack, chairs, tables, ready to get to Venango County Fairgrounds, have my first TV interview and relax for the day!  Sis's return also had me excited and a bit scared all at once! 

So, I headed down to load the horses, as hubby grabbed some last minute items.  I loaded my son's pony on the trailer, then realized all windows weren't open.  So, I grabbed one of the drop down windows of the trailer, and the bars weren't attached!  It crashed down fast and hard directly on top of my head!  Almost knocking me out!  I grabbed my head, hunched over in pain..holding my head for a moment.  My son circling around me "are you ok mom, are you ok".  I told him not exactly!  Then took my hand from my head as felt some warm wetness, and my hand was covered in blood.  THAT, sent my son screaming bloody murder up to get my hubby.  My daughter saw all the blood, and also ran up to the house screaming as if I were laying on the ground dying.  You would have thought those two were injured all the screaming and crying they were doing!
So, my nicely done hair, makeup clothing all ready for my first tv interview..was shot!  I was covered in blood by the time hubby came running down to the barn (no doubt thinking Sis did something to me AGAIN!  lol)  I had blood pouring down my face, hair soaked in it..looking like the "Walkin Dead".

I had to go up, re-shower, no time to dry my hair and get "camera ready" again, as we were late leaving at this point.  So, I stuck some ice on my head, and we headed down the road...head still bleeding!  This is basically the definition of "cowgirl up girlfriend"!  Keep on keeping on no matter what!  Suck it up, shut up, and do what you gotta do!
I pretty much bled the entire day!


But all in all, it was ok once we got to the show grounds.  Shane set up his lemonade stand that he insisted on creating-to raise money for DO3!
He was donating portions of proceeds back to the cause.  (as you can see the small print "By you buying 1 glass of lemonade, you save a kids life! Thank you!)  He really made me proud coming up with that.  He made some decent money with that stand too! 

Shane also ran in peewee barrels, and won some money as a Team member!

I know we also had some other Team members win some cash for the pot as well this past weekend!  We have a wonderful Team!


Also some of the Team members brought some wonderful gifts for Gabby's goody bag!  Thanks to Julianne and Britt and her mother for doing so!


Then the tv "crew", I use that word lightly as it was one man, came for interview!  Poor fellow, had to do it all!  Wasn't quite an interview, was more a speech that I should have prepared for!  I was expecting questions, not me having to lay it all out what Dreaming of Three/Team DO3 was all about.  Luckily Team member Beth, filled in for things I forgot!  A rough start to the day, and head injury, had my brain fried!  I think we got most of it in (cept about the saddle cross program and because of head injury, forgot the Silversport towels)  So, we'll see how it all turned out once I get the link to the segment!

I asked to have some of the Team members tell their story of why they joined up as well.  I really loved hearing the "why" part.  I'd love to put together a video one of these days with the "Why I joined TEAM DO3". 

After the interview, which seemed really quick-it was time to ride.  Smoke, in a large outdoor arena, worked a little differently than indoors.  So my first run, wasn't so great.  I needed to check him at barrels a little more, instead of trusting he'd stop and turn.  My second run of the day was better, however, my barrels just aren't quick right now.  I need to work on that with him and myself...  checking him to slow down, and then just allowing him to turn quickly around it.  I know he can do it...  just is getting synced up with him.  He certainly has the stride there to cover some ground once we get the turns a little quicker!

Then come evening, it was the moment of truth!  Throwing a saddle over Sis, her boots, competition bit-and seeing if all that I have been doing for her benefitted.  She was of course her "crazy train" self as usual.  But, as weird as it sounds, it was good to have her back!  I felt comforted by all the crazy stuff she does, just to be back on my girl! 

She didn't hesitate one bit hitting that arena!  She headed into the chute, as if she missed running!  She was flying, no doubt!  It felt good to be on a familiar horse!  For some reason, she completely stopped behind the 3rd barrel-no clue why, as she was full force all out the whole time.  So, that little ditty behind the 3rd barrel, cost me some time, however, costing time doesn't always mean outta paychecks in barrel racing!  We pulled a 4th place 3rd division check regardless!  Although, I'd rather be where we left off last season, in the First division, a paycheck is a paycheck for the tally no matter what division!   

So, a really bad, bloody start to the day, ended in me being so thrilled and happy that my girl was ok after our run.  To have that comfort of being able to once again be on her back in the arena, pulling checks!  I sure hope it continues! 

My head finally seemed to stopped bleeding by the ride home!  Even though my head/hair was quite "crunchy"!  But, if I hadn't "cowgirl'd up" and came to the barrel race, there wouldn't have been a tv interview, my son wouldn't have gotten 3rd place in peewee and made some $ selling lemonade, nor would I have gotten over that hurdle of bringing Sis back out!  Needless to say, sometimes, regardless of the pain, you just have to

Cowgirl UP!

Thank you to my hubby, Sean, for taking such good care of me during the day! <3








No comments:

Post a Comment