Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Bringing Sis Back Out

Today, I am taking Sis to her first barrel race since she bled.  I am totally nervous about doing so.  I've had her on the herbs for the last month and a half, and plan on giving her a shot of Kentucky Red beforehand.  I surely hope that Lasiks won't have to be given, but am prepared to do so if she bleeds.   I feel that Lasiks is hard on a barrel horse, and would rather go another route being that she is only 13, with several years of barrel racing left in her.  I truly hope it will be under control, as to lose her, will crush me.  I've owned her for 9 years and never had many issues with her, then to have gotten to the point where we are running in the first division, placing and being in the standings for IBRA Ohio in that first division, watching my place slip away, is heartbreaking.  For IBRA, your points are on horse/rider combo, so even if Smoke and I are able to become a team, my points will start all over.

So, I will cross my fingers and hope for the best.  I've done all that I can do to prepare her for coming back. 

We managed to sell my hubby's trail horse, and did bring Smoke home.  It was a little tricky figuring out the pasture situation, with three mares, one mini gelding and Smoke.  Seemingly he fell in love with Sis from the start.  He was not happy being sepereated in the pastures, and would run the fence hollering even with the mini gelding in the pasture with him.  I tried putting one of the other ponies with him, but they just bickered.  So, finally my last resort was to put him and Sis together-shut my eyes and hope for the best.  Fortunately, there was very little bickering, one little love tap from Sis, and now Smoke and her are the best of buddies.  Probably a little bit too attached, but it was ineveitable being in the same barn and stalled near each other. 
No doubt it will be a circus when I get on Smoke to run Masters today!  Sis will be taking a fit! 


On a side note, a couple weeks ago a very skinny old dog wandered onto our property.  We put posters up all around town, called the humane society and tried to find his owners.  Unfortunately, nobody called.  He is a very sweet older dog and my son has taken a very strong attachement to him.  Hobo, is his name now.  He's finally gaining some weight and seems to have settled in.  So, with Dreaming of Three being an organization that helps Animal Rescues, my family has rescued a dog personally. 


So, it's down to the barn to wash the ponies, head to my son's soccer game and out to the show!  I will certainly report on the condition of Sis and how Smoke and I got along.  I'm crossing my fingers on all accounts!


No comments:

Post a Comment