Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sis's First Real Rodeo

All I can say, is SHWEW!  What a night!  When I say "real rodeo", Sis and  have competed at smaller venues, without all the "fair" type atmosphere happening.  So, this rodeo, with the crazy rides right there at the chute, was certainly a challenge!


The rodeo started at 7, therefore, I thought, I needed to get there, and ride around early.  I got there about 5:00.  Had to park right in the area where Sis and Smoke could see the rides.  They both were freaked out, therefore I had to stay at the trailer babysitting, holding them, so they didn't break free. 

My kids were with me, and I was without my hubby as he had a business meeting and couldn't make it that night.  So, for the first time, I had to set my children free at the fair!  Without me hovering keeping an eye on them both.  I knew they wouldn't sit at the trailer with me for 4 hours before the rodeo started.  So I had to trust them to stick together, not talk to strangers, and to answer me each and every time I texted them to see if they were ok.  So not only was I sitting there stressed over my horses being nutso, but worried about my kids on their own at a fair for the first time!  Which I have to say, they made me proud and managed well!

Luckily, Team member and friends McCorkles came to my rescue with the whole evening!  Megan came over and rode Smoke around with me and Sis, while her parents came to sit with my kids and get them dinner while the rodeo started.  At least the kids being with other adults, alleviated that worry. 

Once we started riding Smoke and Sis around, they seemed to adjust to the rides.  Somewhat.  Still every now and then with this or that sound, they would jump.  Smoke was a bit better than Sis with relaxing with that stuff.    Then, instead of getting off Sis to ride Smoke in grand entry, I decided to stay on Sis, and let Meg ride Smoke with me into grand entry.  Which worked out fine.  By the time grand entry was over however, I was beat.. between Sis banging me up against trailer every time she'd spook and basically riding them for over an hour to get them settled, not sleeping the night before for worry of all this rodeo stuff, I was ready to hit the sack before I even run!! 


I truly envy the younger girls that can handle being up so late and getting up in the morning for work!  I sure do wish I could have had Sis in my 20's!  In my 20's, I was married, had to sell my barrel horse as hubby was in the Navy, and stationed in Hawaii after the Gulf War.  We were statoined there for two years, so no barrel races or rodeos for quite some time!

No barrel races, but water falls, sunshine and beaches!

And Luas!  Honestly, although enjoyable, I missed my barrel races and friends.  I'll take a barrel race over the beach any day!
 
Hubby's ship returning after six months away at Gulf War!
 

We moved back to PA in 1992, and I bought a 3 month old paint horse, Scout.   While I figured out how to get back into things, I waited for him to grow up and start riding again.  He didn't work out however, so I had to start all over again, and hence all the horses that came after him until I came across Sis!

Scout.  Not sure I could have found any baggier clothing to wear!!!

So, needless to say, I didn't have my stuff together in my 20's as far as my barrel racing goes.  I was married at 22, moved to hawaii, and was testing out my non-skills at raising a colt and training on my own from the ground up.  (Scout thought barrel racing was more like bowling, and hence gave me all my scars on my knees!)

Back to the rodeo last night.  My turn came to run, and Sis walked, yes, walked into the arena.  I think a few of my friends heard me tell her, Sis you are at a rodeo, it's time to run!  Wake up!  She turned the first well, then crossing over to the 2nd, as I suspected because in grand entry she was afraid of the chutes with the bulls, she didn't want to run up into the pocket.  So she kept going uphill, therefore, taking a big detour around it!  I managed to get her around, then on the way to third, she zigged and zagged from that unfamiliar scenery.  My time was disappointing, but with all the mistakes and ziggin and zaggin, I'm proud she at least tried and we kept on pattern, AND I stayed on!  I feared she would zig when I zagged at those bucking chutes going at that speed! 

All in all, at least I returned home safely and Sis and Smoke safe.  However, I pondered some things.  Rodeos, a dream of mine since the age of 12 when I started to barrel race!

Frosty Q Bars and my cowboy hat helmet I was forced to wear!
However, rodeos are costly!  I dropped $60 last night on entry fees, and that is one of the cheaper rodeos.  Sometimes, they are $100 or more for entry fees!  Rodeos are further to haul.  I could have entered two jackpots for what I spent last night, and most likely would have come away with some paychecks.  Paychecks are what I need in order to donate to the charities!  So, it's a pondering fact that I need to figure out.  Rodeos or Jackpots!  Sis, runs well and with the big wigs at jackpots.  She ran like an amateur last night.  What should be my focus I ask myself?  Continue to try to get Sis seasoned at rodeos, while dropping that type of money earning nothing for the charities?  Or stick to jackpots, where she excels?  Keep my rodeo dreams within the Rodeo Kid progam?  As when I took Aaron, I had no interest what so ever in being a competitor.  I just wanted to spend the evening with the Amon family, enjoying the rodeo from the spectator aspect. 

I described all to my friend, Breanne Hill of  www.barrelracing21.com , and she told me when I told her how dreams sometime change as we get older,  "I agree, our goals do change as we get older. I think we just figure out that there are multiple sides to every situation/dream, and when we find the side that suits us best, it just feels right."  I think she said it perfectly.  I just have to figure out what is best, and what feels right!  That is the toughest part for me at the moment. 




No comments:

Post a Comment