Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Friday, August 10, 2012

Rodeo Dreams

If you've followed me since Dreaming of Three all started, you will know that I have always had that dream of running rodeos since the age of 12.  My parents just happened to purchase a horse that we were told barrel raced, so curious about what exactly that was, I started taking lessons from Sue Bologna.  (owner/rider of Joe B Jammin.  3X Congress Sweepstakes Winner, Ft Smith Sweepstakes Winner and BFA Derby Winner, They were also voted in the top 15 all time Teams by Barrel Horse News. Sue has won over $500,000)



Sue taught me alot, and helped me to acquire that "need for speed" at a young age.  Sue and her family still keep in touch and we see each other at barrel races from time to time. 

Of course, as every barrel racer does, I went through horse after horse, searching for that "winner".  I had some good ones along the way, ones that I thought would be my super stars.  Some passed away before we ever made it down that road however. 

One of which, was Fanny, who I was thrilled to own finally, and had those stars in my eyes of rodeoing with her.  However, after only two weeks of owning her, she had some complications with her breathing.  She needed surgery, and eventually was put down.  I acquired Sis through all of that in the end.  Sis was only 4 at the time, not totally trained for barrels, but at that time, she was better than not having a horse to throw my saddle over at the time. 

My friend, Jeanie Bowersock, and I spent about a year together hauling and training her.  Still, even though she was consistent, she wasn't timing out well, and I just wanted to move on, sell her and find something else.  I guess, I just never found that "something else", so I continued on with Sis.  I have no doubt, that with kids and family obiligations, I didn't haul her enough, nor pushed her enough to make her the caliber of horse I was hoping for at that time.  However, her and I got into a slight arguement one night, and she won-breaking my wrist.  Jeanie took her off my hands until I was able to handle taking care of her and riding her again.  During that time, Jeanie kicked things up a notch, pushed her harder, and her consistent ways became faster and she started proving she had what it took. 

Last year, with being able to haul more often, myself having more confidence in her, we started to become the team I had always dreamt of-hitting that first division more times than not, even if we didn't get paychecks always, we still were in the first division times and not running a half second off the winning time. 

One day, at a show (which Jeanie warned me NOT to try at a show, to try at home first.  I however, didn't listen), I thought, since she would give me problems getting into a particular pen, I'd throw on some spurs, just to help me in the arena.  I did so, really never having too much experience with spurs, and WHEW-losing a stirrup after the 3rd barrel, trying to hang on with spurs hitting her sides, she seemed to pick it up 10 speeds...however,  it was going out of  the pen and after the clock stopped!  Luckily eventually, I got her stopped!    That day seemed to show Sis she could really run! Even though I did not try spurs again after that disaster, she continues to run harder every time going into the pen. 

So of course, this brings me to why I decided to get that IPRA Rodeo card finally this year.  However, in the beginning of the year Sis bled my first run out, and with trying to figure out the best program for her since, she's had to have about three months off.  Therefore, all those weekend rodeos that I had mapped out and planned on hitting, never panned out.  Now, at the end of the season seemingly, it is into the "fair rodeos", which are all falling during weekdays!    Being a mother, wife, full time employee---just doesn't fit into the rodeo schedule!  I've wanted to rodeo forever it seems.  I just never had the right horse to do so.  As I knew, if the horse wasn't in that first division consistently, I'd just be throwing my money away.  (even though rodeos are fun, they are certainly more expensive than your typical barrel race).  Now I have the horse, I have the card, but somehow, I just can't seem to find the time!!! 

With rodeos, if it is a three hour or more drive, that means a day of vacation from work.  Then,  after the rodeo is over, and the haul home, getting home at 2 or 3 a.m., that means another day vacation the following day-as typically on a work day, I am up at 6:15! (being in my 40's, to bed after 11:00 and up by 6:15-doesn't make for a very productive Jackie)  I guess I was just so excited to finally have that horse that was worthy, I never thought about all the logistics in hauling down the road to rodeos.  I hear some of my younger friends talk about entering this or that rodeo, how much fun they are having, how succesful they are,  and I am totally envious!  Why couldn't I have had Sis while in my 20's!!  While I didn't have so many responsibilities like children, a mother to help take care of in her older years, a full time job whereas vacation days are sometimes taken for sick kids, events at school, etc. 

Then, I stop to think, if it hadn't been for Sis becoming what I felt was a "rodeo caliber horse", I would have never started Dreaming of Three nor the Rodeo Kids program nor TEAM DO3!  Would I have started all that in my 20's?  Doubtful.  As I hadn't lost my step father nor my father at that point in my life.  I imagine all things happen for a reason.  The reason why Sis came into my life as late as she did, was hopefully to start something bigger than me chasing some dreams of running in rodeos.  I will still run in rodeos no doubt, just those that are on weekends and logically accessible to full time employee and mother of two.  

When my husband asked me if I was going to enter the North Washington Rodeo, where I'll be taking my fourth Rodeo Kid, Aaron Amon and his family, I told him no, I would much rather spend the evening sitting and talking with him and enjoying the rodeo with him and his family than I would spending the evening rushing around trying to ride and compete and barely having the time to enjoy the rodeo with them.  So, I imagine my answer to him is my own answer to what my dreams really are regarding rodeo.  I certainly want to be a part, but would much rather be a part of rodeos by taking children fighting cancer or heart disease to enjoy a worry free evening watching the best sport and entertainment around! 

I'll continue getting my rodeo cards as long as Sis is healthy to run, as of course they are fun. I will do my best to succeed in those arenas.  I'm not sure if my name will ever be printed as Top 10 or Top 20 in the rodeo organizations, however, I am very proud of the fact that my name has been printed in numerous articles in the horse and rodeo industry regarding Dreaming of Three.  Dreaming of Three has become so much more than I ever imagined and I hope that it continues to grow and is an organization that all involved, whether being on the Team DO3 or being a Rodeo kid are very proud.   I hope that someday, Dreaming of Three will be taking a child and their family to the NFR for a Las Vegas vacation! Who knows!  All I know, is that it all has taught me a lot about dreams, and how they sometimes are slightly altered as you get older.  You should never give up on your dreams, but be flexible of how you achieve them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment