Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Aaron's Rodeo


Firstly,  I am VERY proud to have the Amon brothers on TEAM DO3 as our first bull riders!  I hope we continue to get more bull riders joining after seeing their story, as I think it is a true inspiration to give back!

A BIG thank you to L&P Enterprises for sponsoring Rodeo Kid #4!  You helped me make it very special for them all! Dreaming of Three appreciates you contacting me to participate!  I don't solicite to help cover costs of the rodeo or dinner or all that goes along with putting the Rodeo Kid program together, I only ask for items to give to the Rodeo Kid as gifts.  Typically, everything I get made, or that I order along with dinner, rodeo passes,  is out of my own pocket, so being contacted by a company wanting to help, truly shows that the program is touching people's hearts.


We met the Amon's at 6:00 for dinner at the North Washington Rodeo grounds.   Things started off a little bit rough, as my son wasn't feeling well with a headache.  So trying to tend to him and welcome the family was throwing things off for me a bit.  Then my camera man and hubby ended up having to take my son to the vehicle for a bit to recover.  I'm really lucky to have had my daughter, Sierra and two other TEAM DO3 members with us last night, Julianne Smith and Wendy Davis of Riggin Bag Photography!  Thanks for stepping in Wendy and Julianne and taking over photo shooting as we opened gifts! 

Julianne Smith, Wendy Davis, Aaron Amon and me (Jackie Harris) with Aaron's new, exclusive, one of a kind Dreaming of Three Rodeo Kid belt buckle-complete with a bull rider image!  Purchased with funds raised by Patrick King Horsemanship Conference Auction.  www.PKHorsemanship.com

http://rigginbagphotography.photoreflect.com/store/store.aspx
Riggin Bag Photography is PROUD to be the photographer for Dreaming of Three and the Rodeo Kids!

He opened a few gifts, then we ate some food, then opened some more!  I had to bring it all in little by little as we had so many things to give him! 

Art by Sandra Whitcomb with signature and note: For one child, with the courage to live life to the fullest, you are an inspiration to all."
www.thepaintedhorsestudio.com
Gifts from Team DO3 member Julianne Smith

Artwork Rodeo Poster by Ginny Harding

A very nice buckle that he was pumped about as well,  donated by Tres Rios Silver


 
Art by Bill Ackerman
www.artbyfirstwildbill.com

CD From Bradley Black
www.bradley-black.com

Me and Aaron with an autograph football by Hall of Famer Franco Harris!

Cross donated by Marti Nelson @ Cowgirlz Flair
http://www.marti-nelson-studio.com and www.facebook.com/CGFlair
One of the gifts was a saddle cross from Cowgirlz Flair.  Aaron's brother, Jesse, who was riding bulls that evening, wanted to borrow it to wear on his rodeo number on the back of his shirt.  Aaron hesitated as he seemed a little attached to it as he clutched it in his hand holding it to his heart, but then I mentioned it would perhaps bring his brother luck and keep Jesse safe, then Aaron agreed to let him borrow it for the evening.  I have no doubt Aaron snagged it right back after the rodeo however. 
Feather donated by Southpaw Beadworks
Aaron wasted no time getting that new feather on his hat!
www.southpawbeadworks.com



Donated by HorsnHayes Art - Aaron loved this print!  Thought it was hilarious!
http://www.horsnhayesart.com



Once we got through all the gifts, we got them all wrist bands to get into the rodeo, given to the family from the North Washington Fire Department (thanks so much), and we headed into the rodeo.  Well, Wendy took them all inside along with Julianne.  I went to check on my son-THEN headed in!  Which, when I got in to where they were supposed to sit, they disappeared!  I thought, I lost my Rodoe Kid!    But, Wendy knew some cool people for Aaron to meet behind the chutes.  So, I went up and delivered a written announcement for them to introduce Aaron.   Then it was time for the Rodeo excitement!


All with friends and family and more Team DO3 members!


It was great to have some other Team members to help make the evening special for the Amon family!  As you can see, my son, Shane (behind Aaron to the right), started to feel better after some aspirin.
Many of the rodeo performers stopped over to say hello and to sign Aaron's hat.  At first, I had to ask his mom Clarissa, "Is he ok with people signing his hat?!".  So she told me to ask him, and Aaron shook his head with that big smile of his.  I just thought, you never know with a cowboy and his hat! 
Aaron and Hollywood
Rodeo Queen
Such a smile!  Will no doubt make the cowgirls weak in the knees!
Aaron and Boogerhead



Needless to say, he got plenty of autographs on his cowboy hat Tuesday night!   Plenty of photos as well to remember this special rodeo! 

Black chaps with red fringe-soon to be!
During the rodeo, Barbara at Buckskin Lady leathers, who will be making and donating Aaron a custom made pair of chaps, texted me a photo of the leather!  Was cool to share that with him as well, as I know how excited he is to finally get a pair of chaps!  In his favorite colors-black and red!!

Checking out the photo of the red and black leather soon to be his chaps!
www.buckskinlady.com
After the rodeo, Wendy took the family and talked with the APRA President, and they were invited to finals at the end of October, and also to a bull riding school they are having that weekend as well!  I certainly hope more opportunities come for the Amon's because of being a part of the Dreaming of Three Rodeo Kid program!  As, that is what is all about, bringing a face and recognition to these families that have been through so much, and allowing others to reach out to them as well.
Along with all the gifts, Aaron and his brothers were invited to Let R Buck, bull riding school for a week.  Also, Let R Buck will be fitting Aaron for a bull riding vest!


When I returned to my office Wednesday, I received MORE items for Aaron from  Rodeo Hard Tack and Rodeo Gear!
www.rodeohard.com

They will also be sending a helmet and gear bag! 

When I talked to Clarissa on Wednesday, (as KDKA was going to try to get out to do a piece on Aaron's story), she told me Aaron had a hard time deciding what to wear from all the t-shirts he was given.  (TEAM DO3 shirts, Franco Harris throwback, and a Lope for Hope shirt).  The winner was, the LOPE FOR HOPE tshirt with an American Flag horse supporting the troops!  (www.lopeforhope.com)

I still have some surprises for Aaron!  Let's just say, as a hint - I know what a "TUFF" cowboy Aaron is, and how much he would appreciate something from another TUFF cowboy!!  ;-)


I hope that Aaron will remember this particular rodeo for the rest of his life and how so many people came together to let him know that we care and what an inspiration to us  he is! I know he'll be going to so many rodeos in his future, and I have no doubt in my mind he'll be on tv at the NFR someday!  I know that one act of kindness causes a ripple affect, and that Aaron will continue to help others like himself now and as he becomes an adult.  Perhaps he'll be taking a Dreaming of Three "Rodeo Kid" with him someday to a rodeo where he competes in the future!  How exciting that will be for me and all of TEAM DO3 to watch happen!
I've been asked by several, have I thought about teaming up with Make a Wish, or bigger organizations.  I have, but for now I think what Dreaming of Three has accomplished in such a short amount of time (I took my first Rodeo Kid in January of this year, 2012, and  Aaron was my fourth), being as small as we are,  Team DO3 is accomplishing some pretty cool things for these kids and families.  I hope to grow by having more Team DO3 members, having more sponsors to be able to give these families more, to perhaps be able to find a family in the future and take them to the NFR in Vegas!(I so wish I could have afforded to give the Amon family this trip!  I know how much Aaron would love to be there in Vegas watching some of the best bull riders in the country!)  Little by little I move forward.  I am very proud to have so many people by my side as I do so, showing me they care and wanting to support me.  Especially my husband, who always has encouraging words before and after events telling me how I am inspiring people to reach out to others and that is a good thing.  My own kids of course, are very supportive and always show alot of care and interest in the families we take.  (although I was a bit horrified when Julianne told me that Shane was asking if Aaron kept his old heart in a jar, cause that would be really cool.  I panicked as I thought he asked this question directly to Clarissa (Aaron's mom) or Aaron himself!  I sometimes forget about Shane's curiousity with such things, and forget to talk to him about proper talking points at the rodeos!)

So, although we may be just a small group of northeastern cowboys and cowgirls,  Margaret Mead said it best:  Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
Until the next Rodeo Kid, I truly hope if you are not part of TEAM DO3, you consider doing so!  We are making a difference--- ONE RIDE AT A TIME, ONE RODEO AT A TIME, ONE CHILD AT A TIME!









1 comment:

  1. Wonderful write up...on a memorable evening !
    Thank you for all that you do..
    Marti@CowgirlZ Flair

    ReplyDelete