Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Oklahoma Relief and more.....

On May 20, 2013, Moore, Oklahoma and surrounding areas were hit with devastating tornadoes. More than 100 horses were lost in total by various farms.  One of the facilities, Orr Family Farm/Celestial Training Facility, took a direct hit and lost most of their barns.

What used to be Celestial Training Facility

My heart broke for those animals, who must have been so scared during that time.  Of course I wanted Dreaming of Three to help.  So once again, I called upon TEAM DO3 member, Sandra Whitcomb with an idea I had in my head.  Horses, running in fear from the tornado, and then into heaven in peace.  Sandra had some family in Oklahoma as well.  She didn't hesitate and had me the image the next day.


She captured the expressions on the faces of the horses perfectly.  Then, Dog Pound Printing created the tshirts perfectly.




 The shirt sales will benefit the Orr's Family Farm to help them rebuild so that the surviving horses have shelter.  The last I heard, they did have a little over 30 horses that survived.



Within a day of getting the Tshirts ready, my Texas State Captain, Carlie Hayes,  got in touch with me to tell me her idea to hold a benefit barrel race for the Orr's in Texas.  She quickly jumped to planning the Event!  It is this weekend, and the outpouring of support we received for this barrel race was incredible!  At present time we have $1500 added to the 5D, $300 to the Youth, plus Awards, PLUS a silent auction.

You can read more about this Benefit Barrel Race on Carlie's blog:  http://txteamdo3.blogspot.com/2013/05/texas-for-oklahoma.html

In the midst of all this, Carlie also stopped in to see Dominque McAllister, our Rodeo Kid #5, who we raised funds for through our See No Evil Benefit Barrel Race held a couple weekends ago.  Carlie presented the McAllister's with a $1,000 check to help them with anything through this difficult time.  Carlie will also be presenting a check to Stacey Miller, who was the other recipient of this benefit barrel race, as it was co-sanctioned and therefore the funds were split.  

Dominique, his father Billy, Carlie and her son, Carson


My family and I also, (reluctantly after losing Snowball-as this was Snowball's day to shine), attended the Hookstown Memorial Day Parade.  We borrowed a little mini gelding, Spike, from a supporter of Dreaming of Three, Carey Wimer.  She was very kind to offer him to us to keep as a donation for the Team mascot, however, we just aren't ready yet to make that replacement.  The only reason we had Snowball, was because he was my children's first pony.  The ONLY horse in the barn that I said I wouldn't sell after they grew out of him.  He always came in handy to babysit the barrel horses when we only would take one or two.   However, as we all have a horse that we take now to barrel races, Snowball constantly would remain home alone, and we always felt so bad leaving him behind.  So, at the moment, we don't feel it fair to acquire another pony, when Sierra and Shane have outgrown them, and we do not have room on the trailer to take along.  S



 We also picked up Shane's old pony, Molly. One of our Top 12 Trainers of the Extreme Retired Racehorse Makeover, Celene Jedrzejewski came as well with one of her minis and a cart.   The McCorkle clan could not make it this year, as Pat (the dad) was injured last week in a horse accident.  So, we didn't have a huge group, (3 minis basically) but, we still made it.  I really missed Snowball though.  He was always so calm, and loved visiting the little kids.  My kids really enjoy it however, as it's a fun day.  Shane really enjoys throwing candy "at" (I always tell him it's not "at", it's "to") the little kids.  He is like a celebrity, as all his friends from school shout his name as we walk through. 

 The Rhinestone Cowboy!




We didn't win any trophies this year, most likely due in part that my mind just wasn't there.  We forgot to register at the mini mart store before we got into line.  With this only being our second year attending, I haven't got all the procedures quite down.  

Perhaps in the years to come, we could find some rescues with minis or horses to showcase in the parade with us in hopes of finding them homes.  Spike is for sale, and with all his adorable pictures, I have no doubt he will find a wonderful home.    So, that is an idea I can toss around for next year's parade, as my barn of horses aren't really "parade" fit horses.  

As you can see, Dreaming of Three continues to grow, continues to make a difference in the lives of others and we continue to meet so many wonderful folks along the way through our passion of horses.  I am proud of everybody who joined me in this adventure and journey.  I always look forward to what is around the corner for us and what new friends I will make along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment