Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Friday, May 17, 2013

Inspiration


Last weekend my family and I took a trip to Washington, D.C.  My husband had never been there, nor my kids.  I had been back in 9th grade I believe!  So there was a lot I didn't remember.  It certainly is a very cool, clean, safe feeling city!  ALOT of museums.



The Natural History Museum was one of our favorites.  One of the things I came out of there with was the feeling that I certainly did not want to go through my life without making an impact!  Somehow, even if small or large.  When you see the sections of the war heroes, the section of the inventors, you just think "This person did something in life to be remembered".


  I certainly don't want my face in a museum at any point--not my desire, but I realized even more after going through there, that DO3 is my impact!  I may not be a NFR contestant like I had wished to be at one point in my life, but perhaps I am making a different "mark" on the rodeo world with the Rodeo Kids Program and that the Rodeo Kids will always remember us.  Perhaps with some of the TEAM DO3 members that will someday make it to the NFR and feel that DO3 inspired them to do better, to succeed, not just for themselves, but for others!  That perhaps folks will remember the first "Extreme Retired Racehorse Makeover Barrel Race" as a pioneering event that helped the OTTB industry showing that these horses can go into any discipline their owners desire.

I guess basically, the museum just confirmed that all the work I put into DO3, the countless hours spent in the evenings, or on my lunch hour, are all worth it!  I certainly hope that DO3 continues to grow and never fizzles, as I feel more people doing what they love to do, but yet helping others through that passion is a good thing.  As people are stopping and thinking about their good fortune in life and pausing to give back to others who perhaps are going through rough times.

Then of course the sections of all the cavemen, the bones and mummies, just really made me realize how short our lives really are in retrospect to how long earth has been here.  So certainly made me enjoy my time with my family even more that weekend.  I will enjoy time with my friends this weekend while barrel racing, and have pride for the fact that I am doing things I love to do, with people I love, and doing so to benefit others.

My son thought for sure he'd see Obama!  He was ready to camp out in front of the White House! Was sorta fun to tell him when all black cars came out, that Obama was inside..as he'd get all serious, nervous..standing there waiting for Obama to roll down the window or something!  I do think he would have passed out if that happened!

It was a great weekend, but quickly Monday morning rolled around and back to work, chores, laundry, etc. Tuesday morning, was a little rough.  I looked out my kitchen window after turning the horses outside, and saw our mini and TEAM DO3 mascot, Snowball rolling strangely. Frantically, and to his back with his legs straight up in the air.  He got up, but my stomach got into a knot as I thought the worst...COLIC!  I was just heading out the door to work, and to take my son to school, and as we drove down the road, I saw Snowball do this roll again, legs straight up in the air as if a dead animal.  So, I dropped Shane off, and returned home.

Of course when I went to get him in the pasture, he was flat on his side, looking at his belly, a clear sign things were not good.  So I started to walk him, posted on Facebook I had a colicy pony, and called a friend to see if she had Banamine to help his pain.  

Within seconds, I was getting prayers from all on DO3, friends were telling me they would help, and a friend and TEAM DO3 member and neighbor who recently had a major accident on her horse, broken leg with screws, pins and I don't know what else is in there.... came down my barn driveway with some Banamine in hand for Snowey!  Natalie Larizza was certainly a hero that day as she got in her truck, crutches and all, and came to help.  Shortly, after Natalie pulled in my driveway, a long time friend, and one I call when I'm in a panic most times, Jeanie Bowersock came down the barn driveway as well with some extra.  At least Snowball would get some relief!

Snowball has become our TEAM mascot!  He has always been Sis's babysitter, as when I'd go to barrel races alone, she refused to go on trailer alone, so Snowball came along to be by her side.  He has been in my family since my daughter was four months old, as I needed something to keep my barrel horse company when we built our own barn.  He raised my kids to help them get comfortable around the horses, has given many little kids that visited my home a pony ride, and was an adorable parade TEAM DO3 Representative! He is a true sweetheart and I can't imagine my barn without that little whinny or nicker in the morning! He has become Smoke's "minnie me" and they always are playing down in the field..huge Smoke and tiny Snowball! He also tends to give my husband a hard time every time I am away, escaping and just messing with him, which I find hilarious!


I called the vet out Tuesday afternoon, as he still seemed agitated after the Banamine.  He tubed him with oil, said he didn't seem too bad, as no temperature and his gums looked good.   So we just had to wait!

Wednesday, he seemed ok, however, I didn't want to go to work without somebody checking on him.  TEAM DO3 members, Melissa and Megan McCorkle quickly volunteered for the job!  They stopped over twice to check him.. cleaned his stall, gave him electrolytes, checked his gums, checked if he drank water, etc.  He did drink, gums looked good throughout day, but no poop!   However, when I went back down Wednesday after getting home from work...ONE turd!  I was thrilled!  It was like a piece of gold in his stall!  I came up the house and announced it, and my daughter jumped for joy, hugged me and her dad, said how happy she was!  It inspired me to make the following post:

Not Snowballs actual turd however..it was just one little one!

Thursday, my kids told me Snowball was perky..wanted outside, seemed to have drank water.  I was calm at work, thinking he was coming out of it.  However, by Thursday evening, he seemed down again.  Standing, not rolling, but he wasn't right.  Therefore, I took another day off work, and my husband and I took him to a clinic in Ohio.

The first clinic I was told would perhaps be able to take him, as a friend had taken her horse there for the same problem, was not very polite at all to me when I called.  I had left a message with the emergency operator, told them we were coming up and the problem.  She told me a vet would call me back.  I figured, since they opened at 8:30, I wanted to get up there soon after.  I was hoping to perhaps drop him off..and try to get to work a half day.  Well, I was reamed for loading my animal in the trailer and heading up without talking to the vet. I was told because 1. Cause I didn't know if they could help my horse. (I thought since they had helped a friend's horse with same problem, they could help mine.  I did not realize they were not an emergency care facility.  2.  That they would have to see if they could fit me in.  3.  In the end of the conversation after I get reamed, and brought to tears..there was no vet there anyway.  I kindly asked (which perhaps she should have just told me there was no vet there at the moment for us, and referred me to another that WAS emergency care), if she could tell me of another facility that may take him because they didn't want me to bring him in.

The last time I had to take a horse to an emergency clinic was with Peewee, my good horse that I lost during finals weekend back in 1998.  Back then, I boarded with Jeanie and her daughter, Pam drove me and the Peewee to this facility.  I am very fortunate since then I have not needed to use such a facility,  but I was a tad clueless of where to take Snowball for proper care and what exactly was the protocol.  I'm certainly not trying to be rude by bringing my horse to a facility without an appointment, I simply had what I felt was an emergency at that point..wanted him to be seen and started with treatment, and thought I was taking him to the proper place.

The second facility, Valley Vet in Dover, Ohio was very kind and compassionate.  Snowball is there now, hopefully on the mend.  I imagine it will be a few days before he is well, IF he gets well.   I know for most, they wouldn't spend the money on a pony that is 20, has foundered before, (although most times he is well, just can't leave him out on alot of grass), and not a $20,000 horse...but to my family, he IS family!  To TEAM DO3, he is our mascot! So, he HAS to survive!  If I have to skip a few barrel races to pay for his care and vet bill, it's what I will do. ...as luckily now, I have a whole TEAM out there riding..a whole TEAM who cares and wants to make a difference...  and many friends and family and a whole fan base that is pulling and saying prayers for Snowball! (Almost 9,000 fans on Facebook!).

Right after dropping Snowball off, I also had an interview with RFDTV to talk about DO3 and the Makeover!  That was a tad tough with tears still in my eyes from thinking the worst, and trying to pull together to have half a brain while talking.  It went well, besides the feed going silent on me and me not being able to hear the newscaster.  Hopefully, we go the word out a little bit more though!  I do believe it will be aired again at some point. (8 a.m. tomorrow morning I hear)


I must have faith that we will hear his nicker and whinny in our barn again, and that the kids in the Hookstown BIG Memorial Day Parade will be able to pat his nose and say hello again.






1 comment:

  1. Jackie, thank you so much for all you do and for your inspiration. I have been thinking about Snowball all day and praying for him. I am good friends with Lori Corley and many of the BSB Equestrian Drill Team and have been praying for their safety at the competition this weekend in Alexandria, Ky. I may not be able to offer much of anything else, but God and me, we be mates, (hear that in the voice of Crocadile Dundee,lol)! So always I will pray. Rest well tonight and let us know of Snowball's progress in the morning.

    ReplyDelete