Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Happiness Resides Not in Possessions


Happiness resides not in possessions, and not in gold, happiness dwells in the soul.



As Team DO3 grows, I continually hear from new members how riding for a cause has inspired them to do more with their horses, in competing, riding and becoming involved with everything Dreaming of Three.   Perhaps even starting to ride again after many years. I feel a lot of pride when I hear such things, as sometimes life gets in the way of our true passions and to know that I have created something to bring folks back to their passions, it certainly warms my soul.

For myself, after having children, it became harder and harder to compete in barrel racing.  I swore I would never give it up though.  Actually, not wanting to give it up, was the number one reason I waited until after 30 to have my first child.  I was so fearful, that having kids would ultimately take away my barrel racing, due to time, money, etc.  I knew having children would change my life.  Of course, being early 20's, or later 20's, I did not know how it would change my life for the better however.  All I knew, was it would potentially take something away that, at that time, I lived for every day.  I lived for since the age of 9, when I was given my first pony, Ebony Surprise.







After graduating high school, getting my first job, I would go to work, afterwards straight to the gym, and straight home to ride.  I can remember being asked out on dates, and I would refuse to even give anybody the time of day, as I would be rushing home to keep that horse fit!  I had no time to get to know anybody, unless they were taking an aerobic class with me and standing next to me in that gym, or perhaps they had a horse as well.   (yes, aerobic class back then, not zumba, or spinning,etc. :)  

My husband, Sean, grew up with me and I have known him since the age of  10, so when he returned home on leave from the Navy, I knew him well already and of course I had plenty of time for him. 



We married, and after six months of the Gulf War and him being out to sea, he/we were stationed in Hawaii.


So, I certainly couldn't take my barrel horse to Hawaii with me.  I sold him, as of course, being with my husband was most important.  We lived in Hawaii for 2 years.  

When we returned to PA, I didn't have the money to go and buy a finished barrel horse, therefore, with the desire to raise one myself, I bought Scout, who was three months  old.  After many horses after Scout (Pete, Rocky, Peewee, Bubba), and in my 30's, it was time to start a family.  

I took some years where I wasn't as competitive as I was in my earlier years or those several years before the kids came along.  I wasn't able to ride 4-5 days a week, and to attend barrel races every weekend.  When I would go to a barrel race, I felt a sense of guilt if my family wasn't with me, as I was without them, doing something for myself.  Which, isn't a bad thing no doubt.  Everybody needs their own hobbies, and should always keep doing things that make them happy.  

However, even with myself, starting DO3 has brought my family to be more involved with the barrel racing scene and has given me a sense that I am no longer just doing it for myself. My whole family enjoys spreading the word, attending barrel races knowing it's for fun but also to give back.  

I believe, that in the coming years, more and more cowboys and cowgirls will become aware of the good feeling you have when you are doing something you love to do and able to do for others as well.  We are 115 members strong now, and in over 27 States!  We are not even one year old yet!  We will be a year old on April 1.    

We continue to grow, to involve more folks in our efforts.  Chrissy Elick will be our blogger for the Extreme Retired Racehorse Makeover.  You can read more about her here, at the blog for the Event and also keep up with news if you do not have Facebook. 
 http://extremeretiredracehorsemakeover.blogspot.com/2013/03/let-me-introduce-myself.html


I have no doubt in my mind that Team DO3 will accomplish wonderful things in the years to come, as we have a great Team, great sponsors, and alot of folks willing to help us in our goals!


Thank you to all!




No comments:

Post a Comment