Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Getting Close to Kick Off!




Over the last several weeks we have been in the middle of the voting process for the Extreme Retired Racehorse Makeover.  I know for all those that were on the Voting Committee, it was not an easy task.  All applicants were very qualified!  When I first started the process of acquiring applications, I never thought that it would be so hard!  I actually worried I would get 12 to be in the Event, let alone have 25!!

When I first put it out there that this was a dream of mine, to hold a barrel racing Event in order to help some horses and to give them a second chance, I truly never thought that it would come to fruition.  However, once others heard, so many came to my aid.  I did exactly what Greg Reid says in the above.  I looked on the calendar to figure out what would be the best weekend.  I decided that perhaps a Friday would work best in order not to compete with barrel races in the area.

Then, I contacted Jen Ruberto, to figure out if we could find the horses before we started collecting applications.  She immediately jumped on board to help make this all come true!

The first step would be to write the application, the rules, permissions, etc.  I looked through several forms, and adapted everything to what we needed for the OTTB's.  This was a long tedious task no doubt, but eventually I finished and was able to get it out to all those interested in applying.

We started to acquire sponsors to cover the costs.  I'm proud to say that Purina/Agland are co-headline sponsors for this Event! I contacted Joe Coalter to announce and he agreed to do so as a sponsor, and he was also willing to  give us a sponsorship through the Horsemen's Corral.  We will be in this publication in April, May, June and July.   So the sponsorships seem to begin to roll in, which made it alot easier to concentrate more on the rest of the Event.

I contacted a wonderful band, The Hillbury's who graciously offered to play that evening.  I also needed a National Anthem singer. A friend recommended Melanie May, and Melanie was also thrilled to be a part of it all!

A friend of mine, Chrissy Elick, contacted me to be a part of it all and agreed to write the blog for the 100 days.

So step by step, things started to come together.  The dream, was seemingly taking shape!  I just tackled each thing I felt needed done one at a time.  I still have alot to do, but one at a time, I will get it done and conquered, as I am determined to make this dream come true!  With all the help I am receiving, the support, I know and realize there are so many who have joined me in this dream!

Now, we will be announcing the Top 12 trainers on April 1!  I am excited and nervous all at the same time!  I wish I could have put all of the applicants in the competition, we just didn't have the funds this year, and wanted to keep it somewhat smaller to get a handle on everything.  We certainly plan to increase the number of trainers next year!

This week has also deeply moved me emotionally.  I had sponsors respond to my letters letting me know that they were going to assist DO3 for the Makeover, as they would like to help our "inspirational organization".  To start to receive those "yes" answers, along with wanting me to know how thrilled they were to take part of this Event!  All these wonderful words from Company's so large that I felt would never take notice of DO3, had me in tears at times.  I just couldn't believe it sometimes!

Also, several weeks ago, I helped our North Carolina State Team DO3 Captain, Heather Jarman with her mother's benefit.  Heather's mother has a form of cancer, and Heather came up to hold a small fund raiser for her.  I unfortunately couldn't attend, as we had already scheduled to be at a tack swap, but I did my best to get her some big ticket items for her silent auction.  I certainly NEVER do anything for anybody expecting anything in return, but when I came home from work one night, to find a package from Carlie Hayes, our TX State Captain (who is making Awards for the Makeover as well and who I ordered a birthday gift for a friend), I thought Carlie messed up sending me the present I had ordered twice, or that she was really early at getting me the Makeover items.  To my surprise, the beautiful set of brushes has MY name on them, and a note, from Heather Jarman!



I am not used to getting stuff like that for what I do for others as it's just what DO3 is all about really, so it was VERY much appreciated and also brought tears to my eyes.

So, as you can see it's been a wonderful week!  Amazingly, I even got on Sis tonight (My husband called me  a die-hard, I'm just tired of NOT being able to ride, so I decided I was gonna...in SNOW flurries and mud!)  I sure hope the weather breaks soon, as I have become a "fair weather barrel racer" as I get older.  I don't enjoy riding when it's freezing.  I love to barrel race, but if I can't feel the fingers due to being frozen, I'd prefer to be inside! (Doing my DO3 work..  :))

So stay tuned to find out who are the Top 12 for the Makeover, which Companies join us in our Dream and become a sponsor, and as always, never give up on your own dreams, as nothing is impossible!  Something I have learned very well these last few months!




No comments:

Post a Comment