Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Failure is a Detour and Not a Dead End Street

As my mind constantly turns to make Dreaming of Three fun, new, exciting and different, wanting to help others in need, I decided to come up with something other than a Tshirt to help the equine victims from hurricane Sandy.  I searched for the perfect design, waves with horses representing a hurricane like force.


I wanted to order in bulk, and have them on hand to sell every time a hurricane struck in the U.S. to help an equine rescue in the area hit. 

I looked around, wanting the have the design dyed into the fabric.  I felt that having it screen printed, they wouldn't last the design would wash off over time  I looked, and looked, and in the U.S. I only found ones that would run me about $30.  I certainly couldn't raise funds with a towel that cost ME $30  Who would buy a beach towel for $40!

So, I went to a site I was told about through work, Alibaba, where you can find exporters for every thing you can imagine.  Nervously, I wrote to several companies that made these towels that were made by "sublimation", meaning dyed into the fabric.  I told them all I wanted a beach towel 30 x 60.  I finally got talking to a manufacturer, and we got all the details straight, the design layed out etc.  I was thrilled yet nervous to wire the up front money.  But, I knew I would no doubt recover my money AND make some funds to give to a worthy equine rescue.

The package came last week.  A small box.    I opened the plastic bag, the material felt so nice.  The colors were perfect.  I grabbed an end, and walked out to show my co-worker.  Pulled it out of the bag, and......


um???????  BEACH towel??  30 x 60?  This is our dog Koda, who is about 7  pounds.  This was noooo beach towel that was sent!  A dish towel, golf towel, hand towel, doggie towel or pixie fairy beach towel perhaps!


So, I refunded everybody that had purchased ahead of time.  Some people wanted to still get the towels and support the fund raiser.   I tried my best to get the manufacturer to correct the mistake between what he claims it was, saying he thought our measurements were in cm, not inches.  I don't believe that for one second, as I am sure he has dealt with Americans before, and beach towel is a beach towel, meaning an adult wants to lay on the beach with it.  In America, Companies make sure if they are not certain what a customer is referring to as sfar as size and if there is miscommunication, the Company fixes the issue, not ask for another $400 to get me the proper size towels!  No doubt he knew what he was doing, I did not however apparently.  Lesson learned no doubt! 

So, I will adapt, and put them back in the store as a dish/hand/golf/doggie towel and hope that people will still want to support when hurricanes hit the U.S. 

http://dreamingofthree.bigcartel.com/product/hurricane-sandy-relief-beach-towel

On a better note, yesterday was the drawing for Year End Reward for all the Team DO3 members who turned in their charity checks!  It was very exciting to me to draw the names, as I worked so hard to get items donated to make it worthwhile prize package for the winners.  I had some help from some of the Team members as well getting items donated, which is a relief at times, as I get burnt out of asking and writing letters always.
http://youtu.be/sY4Szy-opa4
Our camera cut out as soon as I went to read the Youth name, so we had to change batteries, and roll again. 
http://youtu.be/RaIPvsi1V-Y
Our Grand Prize winner is Ronald Allen Jr.
Second Prize is Cindy Kivette
Third Prize is Brandi Reicheneker

The Youth winner is Paige Campf

Congratulations to all the winners!  I can't wait to get all the items to you!  I know next year is going to be bigger and better with more prizes!  As I keep saying, I'm hoping to have a trip to the NFR for the Grand Prize!  But, we shall see what  happens in a year!  In just seven short months, we certainly have come a long way!  I've already got several sponsors already, and they are actually coming to ME, not me having to ask!  Which really feels great!

So although sometimes there are mistakes, as all of this is all new to me, I feel that for the most part things are really going well as we grow rapidly.  I know there will no doubt be more things I need to learn, ups and downs, as my friend Karrin Campf tells me, "they are just growing pains". 

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.”
Winston Churchill



No comments:

Post a Comment