Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Northstar Rally

This past Saturday was the very first Northstar Equine Foundation Inc. Rally!  I have to say it was so much fun and turned out to be a wonderful event!  Jayne May, President of NSEF and a friend of mine did a wonderful job organizing and putting everything together!

It started with a "Ride In" for Northstar's Law. There were I believe over 75 riders/horses that participated to demonstrate the support that so many riders have for this law that will hopefully be passed. 

 
My eyes welled up as I saw all the horses, healthy and capable of being ridden, walking down that road.  I thought about Northstar and how much Jessie (Northstar's owner) would probably love to be a part of this all.  Unfortunately, he is still at OSU trying to overcome the horrendous act of a terrible person.


 
My camera battery died shortly after these photos.  Luckily, the news cameras were rolling and the whole event was captured on the Erie news.
You can view it here:
 
A new video was also released regarding Northstar's progress (I did not do this video, Wendy Bumbera was the creator).
 
There were so many chinese auction items it was unreal!

 
 
It is amazing how much support there is out there in the World for Northstar.  My kids had an awesome time chosing which items to put their tickets in to win a prize.  Out of all the items there were, my son, Shane, wanted to win the lotto tree!  He's all about more money!  He ended up winning the lotto tree.
 
Does he look a tad bit excited?  Unfortunately, he didn't win any money,  but another free ticket! 
 
It was really good to meet some of the women on the Northstar Equine Foundation Inc. Board, as I had only met Jayne and Jessie.  So to put faces to voices (that I've talked to a half dozen times or so on conference calls) was really nice.  It was a relaxing day and I think everybody that attended enjoyed hanging out, listening to the music, waiting for the chinese auction items to be drawn, and being in the company of others that love Northstar whether or not they have met him or not.
 
We raised over $9,000 from that rally!  I have to say that this organization certainly ROCKS!  Northstar is certainly in good hands!
 
I'm sure we will have more fund raising functions in the future to raise awareness for Northstar's Law that will hopefully get passed so that criminals that do such things to animals won't get put back out on the streets with just a slap on the wrist!  To help more horses like Northstar in the future and to continue to bring folks together who are passionate about these wonderful animals.  If you'd like to follow more of the story and updates, please go to www.helpnorthstar.com
 
On the Dreaming of Three side of things, the Holiday/Winter shirt sale is over today.  Tomorrow I'll be placing the orders.  There weren't as many as I had hoped sell to help the Nolls, but I suppose every little bit helps and will perhaps give them a little better Christmas!

I really thought I was quite creative with this design too and that others would be just as excited I was about it!  But, perhaps I've just overdone the shirts lately.

So therefore, I've moved on to other items to raise funds for DO3.  Next up are the lounge pants! (with or without the logo on the butt for those that don't want it there)

 
 
These pants will help with rodeo kids, operating costs, and everything surrounding DO3/Team DO3.  We'll see how they sell for this first round.  I know for myself, I love lounge pants after work and to and from a barrel race! 
 
The Year End Rewards are rolling in constantly!  I'm so excited to draw the names from the charity checks that are also rolling in!  I think next year's "Year End Rewards" will even be larger as of course we have the breeding to Sinnsuous Firewater firstly, then we'll be a certified 501c3 by next year.  So I know more companies will step up to donate items with it being a tax write off. 
 
 
Speaking of year end, my local barrel racing organization, Penn Ohio BRA, posted their Final Standings.   I didn't make any top 5's, but I was 17th in the Open First Division and 9th in the Masters, which to me, isn't too shabby being that Sis was out of commission for about three months this summer.  The Masters class I decided after getting her back that running her in a class with only 10 or so horses, only winning a minimal amount, was not what I was after.  I was supposed to be running to earn money for the charities, and being that I can only run her once now with the bleeding, I felt I needed to run her in the Jackpot class with more money added and more entries instead of the Masters.  Therefore, winning more money towards charities.  It's a tough class no doubt to earn points.  Alot of 1D horses in the area, but I plan on keeping at it next season!  Getting our groove back early and hopefully having a full season to earn more for the charities.
 
This Saturday is the Forever Safe Farm Gala.  I'm also excited about this fund raising event for yet another one of my good friends and one of our animal rescue organizations.  I think it will be one awesome evening of music, food, fun and friend!  I hope some of you will join us!
 
 
Dreaming of Three and Team DO3 will continue to keep things interesting throughout the winter. I  hope you'll stay tuned!
 
 
 


 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment