Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Monday, October 22, 2012

Fair Weather Barrel Racers

This past Saturday unfortunately was my final barrel race of 2012.  With the daylight fading quickly, it is to the point of not being able to get Sis rode before dark.  Typically, in the Spring, I am so pumped up and bored and ready to start the season, even though it's dark, rainy and cold out, I will strap a head lamp on my head and go ride!  However, next weekend we are going to go to the All American Quarter Horse Congress for a day and in November I have the Northstar Rally one Saturday and the Forever Safe Farm Gala so I wouldn't be able to hit any barrel races those weekends.  I know for a fact that I wouldn't be going to any barrel races Thanksgiving weekend either.  So that leaves the first weekend in November only.  So, I've decided it's time to let Sis have her several month break to recoup.

As my friend, Jeanie Bowersock and I warmed up Saturday night, walking around the outdoor arena, dark, cold, raining, we started talking about how with age, we are more "fair weather barrel racers" instead of the "die hard barrel racers".  In our younger years, we both would be outside keeping our horses fit in the rain, sleet, snow, etc..  We thought we were "tough" and "dedicated".  Now, she asked me as we walked side by side hunched in our saddles, hats pulled down over our faces, gloves and heavy coats on, "so, are you having fun yet?", and  I said "that is a BIG negative!", as I shivered, my fingers were numb and all I could think about was making my run and getting home to hop in the bathtub!   Instead of thinking we were "tough" and "dedicated" for being out there Saturday night freezing our behinds off, we both thought we were quite crazy!  We both talked about how now we do this for fun, not for a living, not to win the World, but for a fun activity to keep us fit, active and involved with the horses, sport and friends we love so much but when it's this time of year, we'd much rather be doing other activities INSIDE where it's WARM!

I did have a great run on Sis for my last one.  I won the second division, which as my husband says, I'm never happy~but, unless I am first in that First Division, I know there is room for improvement.  I thought we were smoking, but her time just wasn't as good as I thought when we came out. 

Beforehand, she was pretty "spooky" outside however.  Seemingly burning up a lot of energy that I ended up getting off for a short time and walking her back to the trailer.  As I did so, we walked between several cars as that was the only way back as cars were pretty tight, she spooked at something stupid, bucked or kicked at whatever she spooked at and hit her hoof into a friend's tail light.  So, $100 won that evening, and $348 paid out for her stupidness!  "Crazy Train" at her best I suppose.  Sean went into tell this older woman about the damage and he said he felt horrible, as she teared up a little.  He assured her though, that we would take care of it. 


I know certainly it could have been worse, but regardless makes me mad!  I will most certainly try to not walk her between cars if she is spooky.  I'll just have to find another way through I suppose.  She certainly keeps me on my toes!  What we do for these "good" barrel horses!  I felt like selling her for $348!!!! 

But, as I said, she had an awesome run and she worked her heart out.  Hard to remain mad when she gives me her all in the arena each time.

Notice her determined tongue out look.

Sean took some really great shots of some of the TEAM DO3 members as well.  (too many to show here).  I think it will be a great benefit to this local chapter of TEAM DO3 as when I'm at a show, he is the "official" TEAM DO3 photographer.  Every barrel racer loves to have their photo taken in action!  (I myself love to make fun of all my friends faces and hair in their photos).  I have encouraged the State Team Captains to try to find local photographers that can be their Official TEAM photographer as well and take pictures to email to the members as a benefit for being on the Team.

My good friend, Beth Penland, gave me a wonderful gift  that she purchased from Red Eagle Creations, who is also one of Dreaming of Three's sponsors. 

It is a beautiful rodeo shirt, blinged out and all!  I'll be wearing to Congress on Saturday to "represent" and to try to see if I can get some more Companies interested in one form or another in TEAM DO3! 

The silent auction that was an effort by Team DO3 member, Brittany Hall and her mother, raised  over $250 towards the Rodeo Kid Program.  Our next Rodeo Kid will hopefully be in January in Texas.  Our Texas Team Captain, Carlie Hayes will be entertaining this family once we find them.  This money raised will go towards purchasing their rodeo tickets, getting them dinner for the evening, and perhaps some other prizes.  I am most certain we will have plenty of sponsors giving gifts as well.

Right now for our "Year End Reward we have over $700 in prizes!  I'm very excited to be able to offer this to these people who are all giving back with their passion of horses and rodeo.  I know 2013 "Year End Reward" drawing is goin to be bigger and better!

So although my season of barrel racing has come to an end for 2012, I can certainly look back at this year full of true heart break and frustration in the beginning, true friendship throughout, true determination to grow and to go as far as possible with this organization, and true thankfulness to all of my sponsors who believed in me from the start.  I certainly hope I was able to make them all proud to be a part of Dreaming of Three and hope that all the Team members are just as proud!  I look forward to 2013 and all the great things to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment