Making a Difference, One Ride At A Time

Making a Difference, One Rodeo, One Child at a Time!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Interview with our first Rodeo Kid, Amy LeClaire

Just about a year ago, I started the Rodeo Kid program.  I can't believe it has been a year already!  All I knew at that time,  was that I wanted to try to make a special night for a family who had gone through similar situations that my family and I had gone through with my step father.  I remember as my step father was battling for his life, I had no clue what to get a dying man for a Christmas present.  I thought long and hard and decided it was the memories and love that you take with you no matter what.  So I got my mother and him tickets to a broadway show and gift certificates for dinner.  I can still remember him telling me all about that evening and how much they enjoyed it. 

I wanted to give more memories and love to other familes as well.  I wanted to shower them with gifts, make them feel like they were Super Stars, and hopefully give them a night at a rodeo that they would never forget. 

I had asked my boss's sister, Luana, if she knew of any familes that had a child fighting or who had fought cancer that would enjoy going to the rodeo one night with me.  She knew of just the family and got me in contact with Amy's mother, Andrea.  She told me her story and thus started Dreaming of Three's rodeo program.  If you haven't had the chance to read Amy's story, you can do so here:
http://www.dreamingofthree.com/rodeo-kids#!__rodeo-kids/vstc2=amy-leclaire-rodeo-1/2012

I made this video from all the wonderful photos Andrea sent me to try to tell Amy's story through photos.
https://vimeo.com/35385421

A year later, I thought I would check in with Amy, say hello and do a short interview.  Amy also received the jacket that all of Team DO3 pitched in to purchase for the rodeo kids just in time to attend this year's Stock Show Rodeo.  She also has the boots and DO3 shirt on that we gave her and is looking awesome for a night at the rodeo!


Interview with Amy LeClaire

Jackie:  Amy, you were my very first "Rodeo Kid", so I thought I would allow DO3 followers get to know you a little better, as truly you inspired me to continue finding more families to take to rodeos in the future.

Your smile and charm made it so easy for me that night. To think of all the things you had to go through at such a young age makes my heart sink. You are so full of life, smiles and such a beautiful girl.

Jackie:    What/who helped you get through those tough times when you had to have chemo and all the dr.'s visits?

Amy:  My dogs, my parents, my brothers. Everyone was very helpful.

 
Jackie:    What would you like to be when you grow up and what things would you like to accomplish?

Amy:  I would like to become a veterinarian and dedicate my life to animals.

 
Jackie:   I know that rodeo that we attended with you and your family was not your first. However, I hope that it was one that you will never forget. What was your favorite part of the evening and why?

Amy:  Every thing was my favorite part, going to the rodeo is one of my favorite things, plus I got to meet you. Thank you so much Jackie.

I also wanted to thank you for the beautiful jacket. It was my favorite Christmas present. Love, Amy

 

The best things in life aren't things.

No comments:

Post a Comment